Wednesday, December 07, 2005

I've been looking at trees again


I saw a broken branch in the top of a tree again today. It had broken off the tree by weight, or age, or strong wind, maybe a combination of all three. Instead of falling all the way to the ground, it became tangled in the other branches of the tree. It's been hanging there, in some sort of limbo, for a couple of weeks, at least. Every time I see it, I wonder how much longer it will remain entangled by it's own inertia. It's life in the tree is finished, and it hangs suspended, just waiting for a good hard wind to knock it the rest of the way down to the ground. It has no control, can't move itself. It just hangs on, waiting for something to happen. Sometimes I feel like that branch, just hanging here, waiting for a good wind to knock me all the way down.

Hmmmm...maybe I oughtta stop lookin' at trees...

12/8/05 update...that poor old tired branch is still hanging there.

12/12/05 update...still hangin'.

12/19/05 update...you guessed it. still there

12/30/05 update...I think that branch is just gonna rot in place. We had some really nasty wind and rain this week, and the thing just hasn't budged. If anything, I think it may be wedged even tighter in the other branches...Kinda reminds me of a verse out of that old Bob Wills' song, 'Ida Red':

My ole mistress swore to me
When she died, she'd set me free.
She lived so long, till her head got bald,
Took a notion not to die at all.

Some things just ain't fair.

2 Comments:

At 8:04 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I sit here, dangling, holding onto what was, for dear life...

afraid to let go of what is now broken, afraid of an unknown future...

but knowing, sooner or later, the winds of fate will gust and knock me down...

 
At 7:53 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Months have come and gone...

do i still hang?

did i perhaps fall a bit, but find myself still dangling, perched on yet another limb?

or have i come crashing down to the ground?

one of the coolest things about nature is the concept of the circle of life.

as soon as i do reach the ground, i shall be returned to my natural state...

and someday, those parts of me that still exist (which is all of me) will become a part of something new, something exciting, something even better than that which existed before.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home