Tuesday, November 08, 2005

My Epiphany, of Sorts

I've discovered that if you tie a knot (make sure it's a knot, not a noose) at the end of the rope you're hanging onto, you can't do it without swinging yourself around a bunch. It's dizzying at first, but once you learn to control it a bit, you can kick the bejeesus out of anybody in the way.

That has its benefits.

A good number of my acquaintances are missing some teeth, and I have rope burns, but that knot's a beauty!

It's not much to go on, but it's a start. And one must start somewhere, mustn't one?

Suffice it to say that events of my life, and the make up of my DNA, have shaped me into a 'glass half empty' sort of person. I've never been full of bubbles and sunshine (sounds kinda painful, actually). This is not to say I don't have fun, though. I laugh a lot, and I make other people laugh a lot. But in the back of my mind, there's always that thought, that memory, reminding me that fun and laughter are fleeting. It keeps me from being too disappointed when the fun's over.

And when I get really down, and feeling like I just can't deal with life, I remember this little poem by Dorothy Parker.

Resume'

Razors pain you;
Rivers are damp;
Acids stain you;
And drugs cause cramp.
Guns aren't lawful;
Nooses give;
Gas smells awful;
You might as well live.

Or, as my husband's Grandpap used to say, "If living's not going well for you, consider the alternative." Ms. Parker seems to be doing just that.

2 Comments:

At 12:07 PM, Blogger Arkansawyer said...

If living's not going well for you, consider the alternative. - Grandpap Collins

He was a smart feller, that Grandpap. I am glad I had a chance to know him, no matter how short the time...........

 
At 8:27 AM, Blogger okiehillgirl said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home